Wednesday, March 2, 2011

a night in the emergency room

Monday for lunch I ate bland pasta and oh what a mistake was that. About thirty minutes after lunch I started having abdominal pain and cramping. I figured that it would go away with time but as the afternoon progressed the pain continued to worsen. I called my GI doctor and the office told me that he was out of the office and to take something for the pain (Hello?! I have nothing at work for this kind of pain and this always happens to me; whenever I need my GI doctor he’s s out of the office. Perfect.). If the pain becomes more than I can deal with, go to the emergency room. At around 8:30 that night, I gave in and went on to the hospital.

When we got to the emergency room, I had an idea that there would be some sick people with the flu but oh my goodness there were a lot. I tried to sit somewhere where we had some space. The nurse told me that there was a pretty long wait. A lady sitting in front of us had been there for eight hours with abdominal pain… it wasn’t looking promising for me.(LOL) By the time I was called back we had been beside people with masks on and across from a lady vomiting; I was cringing at times but then after waiting so long – who cares anymore? We were all in the same room; if you’re going to get sick, you’re going to get sick.

I got back there and explained my situation to the er doctor. It’s always a gamble going to the er, you never know who you’re going to get and if they know about GP. I’ve had to educate my doctors before about GP; that’s a very reassuring feeling (NOT!). I got to see two more doctors before the night was over and they all agreed that I was having a flair up. That was a little upsetting. Pasta is a staple in my diet. If that is upsetting my stomach to this extent, I’m in trouble. I got two rounds of Dilaudid for pain and Zofran for the nausea along with some x-rays. When I told the doctor how much Zofran I take a day he looked a little shocked. The Zofran works really well – no side effects; the Dilaudid however is another story. I get a major rush from it and I usually pass out from it or act stoned, there’s really no other word for it. :)

They released me around 4am which was nice. I made it to the parking deck and I got that familiar feeling… nausea mixed with the sensation of vomiting. I dealt with that all the way home. My stomach pain has eased up with the aid of Vicodin. Every time I eat the pain returns. Mashed potatoes should not cause pain. I feel like I’m Jell-o and just generally weak so I haven’t made it back to work. Maybe Friday.

Why does GP have to be so uncooperative?

No comments:

Post a Comment