Wednesday, September 14, 2011

looking back...

This time next week, I will have had my surgery and be in a room enjoying some nice pain medication I'm sure and on my way to recovery. It is hard to believe that it is less than an week away. I was thinking today, seventeen months with an average of two bottles per week, at the beginning for two months I did one bottle per week and earlier this year I was doing three bottles per week, I have consumed a ballpark average of around 143 bottles of magnesium citrate!!! No wonder I get cold chills when I look at the stuff and have to gag it down. I have consumed WAY too much of that stuff. It wasn't made to drink on a bi-weekly basis.

Today I started my surgical prep. It will take me six days to prep for the surgery; two bottles of magnesium citrate and one gallon of Golytely. I will of course be on a liquid diet from here on out. I will be completely wiped out by the time Tuesday rolls around but I would rather be clean than have any surgical complications from not being clean. The only issue that poses from cleaning out this much is where are they going to find a vein at? I have expressed my concerns and they claim that everything will be fine so we will see. As long as no I.V.s go into my feet or neck, everything will be fine with me.

Thursday morning I woke up and my stomach started bothering me after breakfast; that intensified nausea and acid feeling. I attributed it to breakfast and my more relaxed diet over the past few weeks. My GI doctor had told me at my last appointment to eat which makes since because after surgery, it's going to take a while to get back to some normalcy. My body will have to learn how to function without a colon and that will take time. Who knows what my GP will be like after surgery. I have been enjoying my food but it has caught up with me. I should have known that Thursday morning was the beginning of a flare up. My parents went out of town Friday night and I had went swimming with Jacob. We went out for dinner (bad idea) and I came home and my stomach started distending. It was not pretty. I was so nauseous, miserable and full. Why did I eat?!? I finally gave up round eleven thirty, took my Tylenol PM and went to bed hoping that it would help get me through the night. I called Jacob and told him to keep his phone on in case I needed him. I prayed that my stomach would settle, who wants to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night especially on a Friday night.

I woke up the next morning and I thought I was free and clear of my flare up but no. I of course was out of Zofran and questioned going to the emergency room if my refill wasn't refilled by my doctor at the pharmacy. I was getting desperate. I was trying to drink my magnesium citrate and it was a downhill battle. After an hour of attempts, I finally got my magnesium citrate down and my parents arrived with some Zofran - RELIEF!!

It's Wednesday and I'm still dealing with this flare up. I had to stop eating so I could start my surgical prep but I realized that this would be my last time that I would be able to eat for a while so I just dealt with the nausea and distention. I had hoped that this weekend's clean out would help end my flare up but it seemed to make my stomach and intestines feel more inflamed.

If my flare up last until my surgery that is fine. At this point I really don't care anymore. I got to eat and that was what mattered to me at that point. I have made a list of things to do and slowly everything is getting done. All that matters is getting to Tuesday. I am so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment